top of page

Our History

Holy Trinity High School, named after the Holy Trinity Cathedral, was formerly St. Anthony's Senior School.  It is a Catholic institution that was established by the Franciscan Sisters at West Street in Kingston in the late 1940's. The school was later removed to Orange Street where it operated under the leadership of the Sisters of Mercy. 

In 1953 the school was relocated to properties owned by the now Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kingston at 18 Emerald Road (now George Headley Drive).  The Ministry of Education constructed what was then one of the most modern schools in Jamaica. At the time the school's population was 750.

Between 1953 and 1997 the school experienced a number of name changes. Its former name St. Anthony's later became known as the Holy Trinity Senior School.  In 1974, the church acquired a large area of land for the school and the Ministry of Education constructed three new blocks. The Grades 10 and 11 Programmes, which included eleven vocational subjects, were then added to the curriculum and the Secondary School Certificate (SSC) Examination became the school-leaving examination.  The school was then promoted to secondary status and was called Holy Trinity Secondary School.

In 1995 the school was renamed Holy Trinity Comprehensive High School and admitted its first batch of Common Entrance students.  In 2000 the school was renamed Holy Trinity High School in
keeping with the Ministry of Education policy to upgrade all Comprehensive High Schools. 

Up until recently, the school operated with four different shifts with annual intake through the Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT) averaging 340 students. Today the school operates on a single shift system with an average intake of approximately 240 students. The majority of the students attending the school are from inner-city communities.

bottom of page